Diabetes SA understands the benefits of peer support
Peer support provides people with much needed social and emotional support to feel less stressed and more assured in their diabetes self-care.
Support networks can assist with opportunities to learn about others experiences and enable development of friendships.
Diabetes SA Peer Support Directory
Diabetes SA provides a Peer Support Service that connects people together with online and face to face groups to support the ongoing experience of living well with diabetes.
Peer support groups can be updated to the Diabetes SA Website for promotion and details will be update regularly.
Diabetes SA can provide resources to support the group, phone support to the group coordinator and promotional benefits’
Diabetes SA Peer Support Service
What does the Diabetes SA Peer Support Service offer to groups?
Support to face to face groups who meet on a regular basis with:
- Addition of your peer support group details to our website directory
- Peer support group information booklet and phone support, if required
- Referrals of people living with diabetes into your peer support group
- Group advertisement in our member magazine, e-news or social media, upon request
- Diabetes resources and factsheets online
- Recognition of volunteer peer support leaders
- Advocacy and a voice in the local community
Peer Support group guidelines
Diabetes SA will support groups in SA who:
- Provide safe and friendly environments to meet and support each other to live well with diabetes
- Provide opportunities for people living with diabetes to meet regularly
- Communicate and encourage clinical care and share accurate information about diabetes
- Help to raise awareness of diabetes and Diabetes SA services in their local communities
- Maintain the standards of the peer support quality checklist
Diabetes SA Peer Support information
- Diabetes SA Peer Support benefits DL flyer
- Diabetes SA Peer Support Service A4 flyer
Diabetes SA Peer Support group resource pack
- Peer support group guide
- Peer support group poster
- Peer support group flyer
- NDSS Peer support quality check list form
- NDSS Peer support fact sheet
- Diabetes SA education planner
Please contact Diabetes SA if you would like to be involved in a Peer Support Group or if your group would like to be added to our directory and receive a group resource pack.
Phone: 1300 198 204 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Peer Support groups – Face to face meetings
Information about South Australian peer support groups that meet on a regular basis in person. If your support group would like to be added to this directory please contact us: Phone 1300 198 204 Email email@example.com.
If you would like to start a peer support group for people living with diabetes, please contact us so we can support you.
Bordertown Support Group – for people with type 2 diabetes
- Meeting at Main Loaf Bakery (81 North Terrace Bordertown), monthly – first Monday 12pm. Contact: to be confirmed.
Noarlunga Diabetes Support Group – for people with all types of diabetes and carers
- Meeting at Noarlunga Hospital cafeteria (Alexander Kelly Drive, Noarlunga SA 5168), monthly – third Wednesday 10am-11.30am. Contact: Helen 0412 600 034.
The Italio-Australian Diabetes Support Group – all welcome, mainly speak Italian. Exercises ($4pp) and food included
- Meeting at Payneham Community Centre (374 Payneham Rd, Payneham SA 5074), monthly – first Tuesday 12pm-2pm. Contact: Vincenza Ferraro 0437 894 402 firstname.lastname@example.org
Elizabeth East - type 2 diabetes support
- Meeting at Midway Road Community House, 48 Midway Road, Elizabeth East - fortnightly on Wednesday between 2pm-3pm. Contact: Annette Cooper 0492 849 818
Munno Para – type 2 diabetes support
- Contact Richard Becker - 0451 912 457
West Lakes Shore – type 1 diabetes support
- Contact Susan Higgins – 0430 659 250
Glengowrie / Glenelg / Brighton – type 1 diabetes support (families and all ages)
- Contact Sandra Williams – email email@example.com
Adelaide Amputee Support Groups
- Whyalla – Contact Trenna Anderson on 0434 978 241.
- Port Pirie – Second Thursday of every month at the Risdon Hotel 12pm for lunch.
- Riverland – Contact Keran Villis on 0418 818 639.
- Port Lincoln – Contact Liz Healey on 0428 923 823.
- Barossa – Contact Mark Workman on 0417 573 333.
- Wallaroo – Contact Deb Fenwick on 0488 971 291.
- Pt Augusta – Contact Limbs 4 Life on 1300 782 231.
- Mount Gambier – Contact Jo Telfer on 0429 070 675.
Peer support groups – Online
Online support groups and forums are useful for people living with diabetes to gain peer support. Please find details for online peer support groups below:
If you can provide information about additional online peer support groups in Australia, please contact us to assist in keeping our content up to date. Diabetes SA has no affiliation with the listed groups.