Take the test
At least 2 million Australians are at high-risk of type 2 diabetes. You could be one of them.
There is no single cause of type 2 diabetes, but there are some well-established risk factors that can increase your chance of developing type 2 diabetes. Some risk factors, such as age or gender, can’t be changed. Some risk factors, such as diet and exercise, can be changed.
The more diabetes risk factors you have, the more likely you are to develop diabetes.
Modifiable risk factors (things you can change)
- Not being active
- Poor diet
- High blood pressure
- High triglycerides and low HDL cholesterol, or total cholesterol
- Being overweight
Non-modifiable risk factors (things you can't change)
- Being older than 40
- Have a parent, brother or sister with diabetes
- A Pacific Islander, Southern European, Middle Eastern, Northern African or Southern Asian
- An Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
- Had diabetes during pregnancy
How do I know that I am at risk?