Timeline

 

65 years of Diabetes SA

1950’s

1952: Dr Charles Best expressed a view that there should be a Diabetic Association in South Australia.

1953: The Diabetic Association of South Australia held its inaugural meeting.

1954: The Diabetic Association of South Australia Incorporated and the first country branch at Port Augusta was established.

1956: The first Children’s Camp was held for 15 children aged between 8–15 years.

1957: Meeting of four existing associations (NSW, VIC, SA, TAS) to form the Diabetes Federation of Australia.

1960’s

1961: The Women’s Auxiliary was formed with 20 inaugural members.

1961: The first Teen and Young Adults Camp for 14 people aged 16–25 years was held at The Ranch, Port Noarlunga.

1967: The first office and advisory centre of the Diabetic Association of South Australia Inc. was opened at 45 Gawler Place, Adelaide.

1967: The Association celebrated its first National Diabetes Awareness Week in South Australia.

1969: Formation of Mount Gambier branch.

1970’s

1970: First edition of the quarterly members only DASA Reports was published.

1971: Formation of Broken Hill branch.

1971: Formation of Whyalla branch.

1976: “DASA Reports” was changed to “Diabetes Education” and later incorporated into the Associations bi-monthly newsletter “Alert” first published in September 1976.

1976: The Association held its first lottery.

1980’s

1984: The Association’s library was opened offering diabetes related books.

1985: South Australia’s first recipient of a Kellion Victory Medal was presented to Mr Horace Jared, aged 80, for living with diabetes for over 50 years.

1987: The National Diabetic Supplies Scheme, later to become the NDSS, is announced in the Federal budget, with subsidised syringes and test strips.

1987: First production of the Women’s Auxiliary cookbook ‘Easy Diabetic Recipes’.

1988: First use of the trading name Diabetes Australia – South Australia.

1988: Transfer of the Association’s head office to Hilton.

1990’s

1990: Introduction of a free service for the safe disposal of used needles and syringes.

1991: The World Health Organisation launches World Diabetes Day on November 14 each year in recognition of the birthday of Frederick Banting, in response to rising prevalence of diabetes around the globe.

1996: Establishment of the Association’s northern metropolitan outlet at Elizabeth Vale.

1997: Establishment of Association’s southern metropolitan outlet at Noarlunga Health Village.

1999: Opening of extended premises at Hilton.

2000’s

2001: Announcement of free needles and syringes for people living with diabetes following the Association’s lobbying of the State Government.

2002: Change of the Association’s trading name to Diabetes South Australia.

2003: The book ‘From Backrooms to Boardrooms’ was written to mark the next 50 years of The Diabetic Association of South Australia.

2006: Launch of the new Diabetes SA Living logo.

2010’s

2010: The Auxiliary formally ceased its primary functions.

2011: Establishment of Diabetes SA’s Clothing Collection Operation.

2015: Launch of the new look 36 page Living magazine.

2017: Ceasing of Diabetes SA’s Clothing Collection Operation.

2017: The Association announced it’s set to fund diabetes research for all South Australians.

2017: South Australia records the highest prevalence in the nation of diabetes, 6.1% of the state population. 89.0% of those diagnosed have type 2, 8% type 1, 3% gestational.

2018: $270,750 of research grant funding provided by Diabetes SA to 6 researchers. Market Research commenced for Diabetes SA.

2018: Launch of the new Diabetes SA brand identity and website.